Live At Sunbury contains an in-concert performance by Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs. The set is part of the Aztec label's reissue series that puts Australian rock albums from the 1970s back into circulation. Much as 1972's inaugural Sunbury Festival came to be regarded as one of the definitive moments in Australian rock & roll (often referred to as Australia's Woodstock), so too did Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs' double-vinyl documentation of their blistering headline set arguably prove to be the crowning achievement of their career.
A veteran of Australia's first wave of `60s pop and beat groups, the English-born Thorpe had already scored numerous hits while leading different variations of his Aztecs, but it was in front of Sunbury's 35,000-strong congregation that his reinvention as scruffy, electrified, blues-rock shaman was crystallized, leaving a younger generation of listeners with mouths agape, eyes bulging, and ears bleeding.
1. C C Rider (Rainey) - 6:40
2. Be Bop A Lula (Vincent, Davis) - 5:26
3. Momma (Thorpe, Morgan) - 11:58
4. Rock Me Baby (Josea, King) - 9:46
5. Most People I Know Think That I'm Crazy (Thorpe) - 7:27
6. Time To Live (Thorpe, Morgan) - 6:33
7. Jump Back (Thomas) - 10:03
8. Ooh Poo Pa Doo (Jessie Hill) - 15:20
*Gil "Rathead" Matthews - Drums, Vocals
*Paul "Sheepdog" Wheeler - Bass
*Bruce Howard - Piano
*Billy Thorpe - Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica
the Free Text